The ketogenic diet is a low-carb diet can help you lose weight and requires a good knowledge of nutrients to know which products you can consume and which ones to avoid. The supervision of a physician is advised to ensure so that you do not suffer from nutritional deficiencies. Ketogenic diet was actually designed to control epilepsy but became popular for weight loss.
It was created by the Dr. Russell Wilder at Mayo Clinic in 1921. It was designed to reduce episodes of seizures in children with epilepsy. However, it became popular for weight loss when Dr. Robert C. Atkins got involved with it in 1970 and increased protein intake rather than fat.
This diet provides a low or almost no dose of carbohydrates to the body, depending on the source of nutrients to prevail whether it is high fat or high protein, though, generally there is increased protein consumption. Classical ketogenic diet also called long-chain triglyceride and provides 3 to 4 grams of fat per gram of carbohydrate and protein.
Why is it called ketogenic?
It is called ketogenic because of the chemicals called ketones. Normally, the body uses carbohydrates for energy. When the body does not have enough carbohydrates to use, it uses fats and degradation releases ketones and this situation leads to a state agency known ketosis. Ketones are not dangerous and can be detected in the blood and urine. But if there is a very high level or if the diet is not supervised by a physician, it can endanger health.
What does it consist of?
The ketogenic diet should be supervised by a physician who will establish a meal plan in which food intake is monitored to ensure proper nutritional balance.
- In the first weeks, the menus will have drastic reduction of the consumption of carbohydrates and you will be allowed to eat some vegetables and sometimes nuts.
- There are no restrictions as to the liquid provided that it is not high in sugar and should be drunk but up to 3 liters for improving purifying function of the kidney.
- There must also be calculated quantity of food to control the number of calories.
- It is considered a Low Glycemic Index Diet and balances glucose levels, i.e. blood sugar.
- Sweeteners are not recommended.
Why is it used for weight loss?
As I said in the beginning, it was not designed for weight loss, but to fight epilepsy since it was found that reducing carbohydrates, children who did not respond to improved medication.
Later, Dr. Atkins saw the state of ketosis which could help slimming and modified the diet to control the nutrients and promote this state to control for a short time.
The Atkins diet is based on reducing the intake of carbohydrates and increasing protein to simulate the situation of starvation or fasting in the body. In this state, the body uses fat for energy by burning and reducing fat stored in the body causing weight loss.
Is it right for you?
First of all, it is important to remember that before making a diet to lose weight, it is important to find a good nutritionist for your health analysis and see if there is any risk to carry it out. For example, it is not recommended for people suffering from kidney problems and it is not advisable for people with cardiovascular diseases and diabetes. In terms of obesity or overweight, your doctor may advise you to perform a low carb diet, but you must balance other nutrients.
Tips for Starting Ketogenic Diet
If your intention is to lose weight with this diet, keep the following points in mind;
- Get books, DVDs or tutorials that will increase your knowledge about this diet plan.
- Consult with your doctor to ensure there is no risk to your health. For example, note that this is a high-fat diet and excess fat can be risky for a person with a history of heart problems.
- Make exercise to offset the caloric intake, so you can lose weight without fail.
- Be consistent when you want to lose weight. It is better to lose slowly but over a longer period than done fast and have a rebound effect.
In case you already have tied Ketogenic Diet and it didn’t suit you, I will love to let you know an alternative to this diet namely Venus Factor, which contains exercises plans as well. If you are interested, you can read Venus Factor Review here.